Winter Safety Checklist from the CDCOctober 27, 2019
Potato Curry Soup with Roasted Cauliflower
A creamy, healthy soup, perfect for colder weather, integrates roasted cauliflower to add a depth flavor.
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets (about 6 cups)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 fresh red chile pepper, minced, plus more for garnish
- 1 (14 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups diced peeled russet potatoes ( 1/2-inch)
- 3 cups diced peeled sweet potatoes ( 1/2-inch)
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450° F degrees.
- In a bowl, mix coriander, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. In a separate bowl, add cauliflower and 1 tablespoon of oil and toss until coated. Add 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture and toss until coated. Spread out on a baking sheet. Roast cauliflower for 15-20 minutes, until edges have browned.
- While cauliflower is roasting, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Cook the onion and carrot, stirring frequently, until they begin to brown, about 3-4 minutes. Reduce to medium heat and cook until onion is soft, about 3-4 minutes. Mix in garlic, ginger, chile pepper, and last of spice mixture. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Mix in tomato sauce and simmer for 1 minute, scraping any browned bits stuck to pan. Mix in broth, both types of potatoes, lime zest, and lime juice. Cover the pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Partially cover pot and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 35-40 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Mix in coconut milk and cauliflower. Simmer until heated throughout. Garnish with cilantro and remaining chile peppers.